ASHEVILLE, N.C. - Gerrard Newby of Union College and Rebecca Cheeks of Reinhardt University are the Appalachian Athletic Conference Men's and Women's Basketball Players of the Week, the league announced Monday.
This is the 14th edition of the weekly honors for the 2016-17 season. The next set of awards will be announced on Feb. 20.
AAC Men's Basketball Player of the Week
Gerrard Newby - Union - Sr. - Lexington, Ky.
- Averaged 24.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game last week.
- Recorded his 14th and 15th double-doubles of the season - which leads the AAC.
- Registered 26 points and 11 rebounds in a 77-71 win over Tennessee Wesleyan.
- Had 23 points, 10 rebounds and a career-high 7 assists in a 98-78 win versus Bluefield.
- Tallied 10 assists, 6 blocks, and 6 steals on the week.
- Shot 63 percent (17-of-27) from the field and 47.1 percent (8-of-17) from 3-point range.
- This is his ninth weekly honor this season.
AAC Women's Basketball Player of the Week
Rebecca Cheeks - Reinhardt - Fr. - Ranger, Ga.
- Averaged 19.5 points and 10.0 rebounds on the week in helping Reinhardt to a 2-0 record.
- Scored a high of 24 points in an 82-65 win at Columbia.
- Posted 15 points and 15 rebounds against Truett McConnell, recording the double-double by halftime in the 81-51 win.
- Shot 50 percent (12-of-24) from floor.
- Also had 4 assists, 4 steals and 1 block on the week.
- This is her fourth weekly award this season.