KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Martin Methodist (Tenn.) lands the No. 1 ranking for the first time this season in the 2017 NAIA Women's Soccer Coaches Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. With 16-of-17 first-place votes in the third regular-season edition, the RedHawks vault up to the top position for the 11th time overall and first since Sept. 30, 2008.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
- Martin Methodist (Tenn.) notched two wins last week over Top 25 opponents, including then-No. 1 Spring Arbor (Mich.) by a 2-0 count on Sept. 16.
- The RedHawks are the third different No. 1-ranked program in four polls this year.
- No. 3 University of Northwestern Ohio garnered the remaining first-place nod.
- No. 13 Central Methodist (Mo.) and No. 24 Trinity Christian (Ill.) are the newcomers this week. Central Methodist is ranked for the first time in school history. The Trolls last checked into the Top 25 on Aug. 14, 2012 (preseason).
- No. 10 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) boasts the longest active streak in the Top 25 with 198-consecutive mentions dating back to the start of the 1999 season. Included in that active stretch is 168-straight in the top 10. Behind Lindsey Wilson on the active list is Spring Arbor at 76-straight Top 25 mentions and No. 8 Keiser (Fla.) at 74-straight.
- The Blue Raiders also own the most No. 1 rankings since 1999 with 58, followed by former member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) with 32, Westmont (Calif.) and former member Concordia (Ore.) with 19, former member Lee (Tenn.) at 16 and Spring Arbor with 14.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team's ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes
- For the complete ratings calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Women's Soccer Coaches' Top 25 Poll – No. 3 (Sept. 19)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2017 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||4||Martin Methodist (Tenn.) (16)||8-0-0||467|
|2||1||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||7-1-0||452|
|3||2||University of Northwestern Ohio (1)||5-1-1||437|
|6||7||William Carey (Miss.)||6-0-0||397|
|10||10||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||2-2-3||335|
|12||9||The Master's (Calif.)||7-1-0||289|
|13||NR||Central Methodist (Mo.)||6-0-1||270|
|16||17||John Brown (Ark.)||5-1-0||243|
|22||21||Science & Arts (Okla.)||4-1-1||154|
|24||NR||Trinity Christian (Ill.)||7-0-0||102|
Dropped from Top 25: No. 20 Baker (Kan.); No. 23 Northwest (Wash.)
Others Receiving Votes: Bethel (Tenn.) 66; Oklahoma Wesleyan 66; Georgia Gwinnett 53; Graceland (Iowa) 35; St. Thomas (Texas) 33; Carroll (Mont.) 33; Grace (Ind.) 11; Missouri Baptist 9; Jamestown (N.D.) 8; Antelope Valley (Calif.) 7; Georgetown (Ky.) 6; MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 5; Siena Heights (Mich.) 3.